What is the GMA?
The GMA is a not for profit organization set up in 2009 as an association in Switzerland with offices in Switzerland Peru and contact in Ethiopia.
The members are a group of scientists and professionals concerned about the neglect to support sustainable use & well being of mountains, their people, their ecosystems, their cultures, their health, their diversity and their spirit.
We are against promotion of evermore destructive, extractive use of mountain resources with few or negative benefits for mountain inhabitants, conducted without concern for to the environment, which we believe is detrimental ultimately also to national and international stability and security
GMA is fundamentally concerned with supporting actions that maintain or restore health and wellbeing to mountain people and the environment by promoting key neglected action areas in which we have expertise
· We promote activities that contribute to the wellbeing of mountain people, especially indigenous communities.
· We engage in actions that support maintenance of traditional knowledge and food production, building on them, integrating new opportunities instead of displacing them as currently promoted, and by helping mountain communities develop just and sustainable markets.
· We work to enable good stewardship of mountain environments and resources.
· We promote the culture and history of mountain people.
· Select KEY Themes Critical to well-being of mountain people and environments neglected by mainstream efforts of Governments, Organizations and Funding bodies for which we have expertise.
· Strive for close physical integration with mountain communities and their participation, while maintaining strong links with universities, national and international organizations, advocacy groups, commerce and governments.
· Provide options that give flexibility and new options to people and integrate age-old local knowledge with new options for improved livelihoods while managing mountain ecosystems.